Different Styles of Core Boxes and Trays
September 24th 2019
At Robertson Manufacturing, based in Kamloops BC, we have developed into one of Western Canada’s largest suppliers of wooden, “western style” core boxes. So if you’re looking for high quality boxes to store your core samples in, we can help you out. However, it’s good to know what you’re getting when you come to us. With that in mind, we’re going to compare a few different styles of core boxes so that you know what you’re getting – or not getting – when you purchase boxes from us. Let’s take a look!
“Western Style” Core Box
Designed to be the same height as the diameter of the core. This allows for proper containment of samples in areas where the rock layers are fractured and have many imperfections, mainly the Rocky Mountain regions of North America.
• Very sturdy and strong to hold large amounts of dense/heavy core samples.
• 100% of each core tube is preserved and stored from the full height rows.
• Boxes can act as a lid as well when they’re stacked on each other with the sturdy frame
• Stand the test of time in many climates
• Completely customizable. From core spacing, box length and number of rows per box is available to design and order whatever you like.
• Termites like them so areas these live may not be great for this style.
• Heavier in weight which adds to the freight cost.
Eastern Style Core Tray
Uses dimensional timber that is routered with grooves to allow half of the core sample to sit inside the proper sized row. As the ground in Eastern North America is solid rock, this style of tray works with the solid core samples that are pulled from the ground.
• Quicker to make
• Display more of the core sample for viewing purposes
• Easy to custom build to your desire of length and number of rows per tray.
• Need 2 of them (top & bottom) to stack or use as a lid
• Don’t allow for any imperfections of the core sample
Wax Cardboard Core Boxes
These are very similar design as the “Western Style” but, instead of plywood and lumber, these are made of wax coated cardboard.
• They allow for complete containment of core like the western style box.
• They are much lighter in weight and usually come flat which makes freight and shipping much easier and cheaper.
• These are typically smaller in size and capacity due to the lesser strength of cardboard.
• Not as sturdy
• Don’t last nearly as long as other styles
Plastic Core Trays
This style can be made of many different materials in the plastic world as well as shapes and sizes.
• These trays are light weight and stackable when empty which makes shipping easy and affordable
• Being light weight makes for easier handling potentially
• With so many different manufactures of this style, knowing what quality can be hard to determine.
• These can become brittle and crack/break in certain elements. (Extreme Cold or Sun)
• Molds for these can be expensive so there isn’t much options to customize the size of box you’d like as they’re predetermined with limited choices.
Now you know what your core box manufacturere means when they tell you what type of box they produce. At Robertson Manufacturing Ltd, we produce only “western style” core boxes. We have been doing so since 1986 and are proud to supply them to many businesses throughout North America. Check out our Core Boxes page for more information about the different configurations you can order from us. And if you have any questions, feel free to contact us!